There are countless iconic figures throughout history who have been immortilized for their timeless style. These icons not only shaped fashion history, but their image in society still serves as a guide for classic tailoring to this day. From the dapper elegance of Cary Grant to the flawless designs of Hubert de Givenchy, read on to learn more about the signature styles of some of the most iconic figures in classic tailoring.
1. Defining Classic Tailoring’s Iconic Figures
Classic Tailoring is best known for taking timeless silhouettes to the next level. Iconic figures in the tailoring world are instantly recognizable, and have impacted the way we approach fashion today. There are three such figures: Victoria Stone, Scarlet Evans, and Paul Johnson.
Victoria Stone is a fashion designer known for her timeless designs and attention to detail. Her pieces focus on classic silhouettes with a contemporary feel. She has been credited with bringing an innovative fusion of vintage and modern shapes to the world of tailoring. From her signature black jackets to her monochromatic colors, Victoria applies her minimalistic style to her garments to create timeless pieces.
Scarlet Evans is a fashion designer who channels her inspiration from the 1950s, 60s and 70s. She prefers retro-modern cuts which are tailored to fit her models perfectly. Scarlet loves to utilize colors like navy and black, and always adds a twist to her clothing. She is renowned for creating luxurious ensembles that flatter a woman’s figure.
Paul Johnson is a British, world-renowned tailor who is always looking for new ways to break the mold of classic tailoring. He creates gorgeous pieces that blend the traditional and modern. Paul is also known for his attention to detail and ability to create a perfect fit. From slim-fitting suit trousers to crisp shirts, he creates pieces that are made to last.
Each of these figures has made significant contributions to the classic tailoring world. From bespoke suits to luxurious fabric choices, they’ve all helped to create a lasting legacy of timeless tailoring.
2. Analyzing the Signature Styles of Tailoring Icons
The history of tailoring has seen some truly iconic figures who have transformed the industry with their distinct signature styles. From the tailors who popularised the customised suit to the designers that revolutionised the high fashion industry, these tailoring icons have changed the creations that taste-makers and trendsetters are wearing around the world.
Here, we take a look at a few of the honchos of tailoring and analyse the signature styles that have made them so beloved and revered:
- Giorgio Armani – One of the creative forces behind the suited look of the 1980s, Giorgio Armani was a true innovator in tailoring. Taking cues from contemporary art, Armani’s signature style included sleek lines, luxurious details and an overall sense of elegance. His structured tailoring also incorporated the softer styles of flowing fabric that became popular in the ‘80s.
- Tom Ford – Tom Ford’s tailoring has come to be known for its classic elements with a modern twist. His silhouettes are often form fitting and feature slim lines that flatter the body. This style was brought to life with bold colours, intricate details and unique materials – a reflection of Ford’s passion for making fine tailoring look dynamic.
- Karl Lagerfeld – For decades, Karl Lagerfeld has enchanted the fashion industry with his high-end tailoring. His designs are often classic in silhouette but with unique details such as higher waistlines and shaped collars. He also embraced the traditional style of tailoring for modern times through the use of the linings, buttons and different fabrics. Many of his looks are timeless and evoke a sense of sophistication.
From Giorgio Armani to Karl Lagerfeld, these tailoring icons have left an indelible mark on the history of tailoring. Their talent and creativity have taken tailor-made garments to the next level, inspiring a new generation of tailor and fashion designers.
Their signature styles are loved and admired for their modern elegance and timeless class, making them as relevant today as they were in the past.
3. Crafting Timeless Looks With Tailoring Classics
From sleek tailored shirts to classic pants and signature blazers, there are plenty of wardrobe staples that should never go out of style. But why settle on a single look when you can tailor your favorite classics to craft timeless looks that reflect your personality? Here are 3 ways to upgrade your wardrobe with timeless looks that are perfect for any occasion.
Mix & Match Blazers With Pants
- Go for traditional blazers in neutral colors like navy, black or grey.
- Style them with matching pants or opt for vibrant printed trousers to upgrade standard neutrals and get that timeless look.
- Look for premium fabrics like cashmere or merino wool for a luxurious outlook.
Upgrade Your Shirts
- Traditional shirts give your wardrobe an instant timeless boost. Look to linen and cotton to create a classic feel.
- Go for breathable materials for that classic summer look and add a scarf or necktie for a touch of personality.
- For a modern look, switch up your standard shirts with some funky patterns.
Add a Statement Piece
- The easiest way to add a touch of timelessness to your wardrobe is to opt for statement pieces. Invest in a timeless watch, choose a leather belt, or go for a classic hat.
- These pieces will become staples in your wardrobe and can instantly update even the most simple of looks.
- For a modern take on classic style, opt for bold colors in timeless pieces. A bright belt can upgrade any look.
No matter what your style is, classic pieces should always form the foundation of your wardrobe. With the right combination of timeless pieces, you can craft a look that will last for years to come and never go out of fashion. Take the time to tailor your classic wardrobe staples and you’ll never look back.
4. Taking Inspiration From Legendary Tailors
Finding inspiration from tailors that have come before is one of the most effective methods for creating modern fashion. Legendary tailors provide an important source of information for aspiring designers who want to be innovative in their craft. Here are some ways to take inspiration from the greats:
- Study their design history – Researching the works of famous designers provides insight into the styles they created and the techniques they employed. Collecting historical magazines or studying published collections can provide you with an in-depth look at what the masters crafted.
- Visit inspiring locations – Visiting places associated with famous tailors can offer a snapshot into their designing world. Architectural details, pieces of furniture, vintage clothes and sculptures can help you feel connected to the designer’s aesthetic.
- Create custom looks – Take inspiration from classic tailoring designs, but reinterpret them in your own unique style. Taking elements from what you have learned from famous tailors and creating a modernized look will give you an unmistakable point of reference that illuminates your design experience.
- Use your imagination – While studying influential designs, use your imagination to take them to the next level. Blending the looks of several designers in unexpected combinations can create dynamic looks that will keep your creations unique.
Ultimately, the best way to take inspiration from legendary tailors is to simply create. As you practice this craft, you will develop a higher understanding of design that will be unmistakable in your works. Combining your skill with the knowledge of tailors who have come before will give you the ability to create fashion that represents the present in a recognizable way.
From Savile Row tailoring of Edward VIII to Oprah’s ever-changing style, it’s safe to say that iconic figures have left their mark when it comes to classic tailoring. Whether embraced or deplored, their fashion choices have become part of the history of tailored clothing and will be remembered for many years to come.