If you’re an avid lover of classic tailoring, this one’s for you. Sprucing up your wardrobe with beautiful and timeless tailored garments can make all the difference to your style. To help you keep these garments looking their best, we’ve put together a few tips and useful information on how to maintain and care for them. Read on to learn how to extend the life of your classic tailored garments.
1. Show Your Garments Some TLC: A Guide to Caring for Classic Tailoring
A well tailored garment can last lifetimes if treated with love and care. As originally crafted by artisans, classic tailoring warrants a respectful approach to garment maintenance. To help you keep your classics in pristine condition, here’s a guide to maintaining classic tailoring:
- Cleaning: Classic tailoring requires regular maintenance and it’s important to stay up to date on waistcoat and trouser cleaning. Infrequent washing causes dirt and sweat to linger in the fabric, degrading it over time. We recommend professional dry cleaning every 3 – 6 months, and brushing regularly with a soft brush to unclog stubborn fibers.
- Storage: When storing, ensure your piece is hung in a dry, cool, and dark space, and avoid packing too many pieces into a wardrobe or storage system. As garments breathe, avoid storing them in airtight Zip-Lock bags or boxes. Invest in high quality hangers and ensure to turn pieces inside out to prevent color-fading, and buttons from stretching.
- Ironing: Ironing is an essential step in garment maintenance. Ensure your piece has been steamed thoroughly before ironing. Work gradually and ensure to use a light setting and steam. Handle with care – be sure your hands and the iron never touch the same spot directly without the use of a fabric cloth. Iron on the reverse for extra protection.
- Updates: Buttons, collars, and cuffs are areas that require extra consideration since they can become warped from too much wear and tear. Lengthening jackets, refining silhouettes, and altering for current trends are all simple approaches to keep your wardrobe fresh and updated for modern times.
Now you know how to look after your classics – with regular maintenance, your garments will shine for a lifetime, staying true to their original state. Treat them with care, and they’ll look just as good as the day you bought them.
2. Ways to Lengthen the Life of Your Timeless Tailoring
If you’ve invested in long-lasting tailoring, then you’ll want to cherish and maintain it for years to come! Here are a few tips to help you ensure that you’re getting the most out of your investment:
- Invest in quality fabric. Quality fabrics are less likely to fade and be damaged over time, and they will keep the shape and fit of your garment for much longer.
- Follow the label instructions. Your garment will typically come with instructions on how best to look after it – follow them carefully! Hand wash if possible, and avoid machine wash, tumble dry or press your tailoring as much as possible.
- Switch up your styling. It’s easy to stick to the same styling week in, week out, but if you want to get the most out of your tailoring, introduce different pieces to your wardrobe and mix up your style. Playing with different layers will help to create different shapes and freshen up your look.
- Inspect regularly. Check your garments on a regular basis for fading, pilling and any signs of wear. If a garment needs cleaning, repair or alteration, attend to it immediately to prolong the life of the garment.
Tailoring can be a large investment, but if you’re willing to upkeep and care for it properly, it can last through many seasons. For classic wardrobe staples that will last you for years to come, timeless tailoring is a great investment to make.
3. Tips for Maintaining Classic Ensembles without Causing Damage
1. Invest in quality fabrics and accessories
If you want your classic ensemble to last, invest in quality fabrics and accessories from reputable brands. High quality wardrobes need immaculate precision. So whether your wardrobe staples come from a thrift shop or are tailored-made, their fabric quality should provide an effortless connection with the century of classic fashion trends.
2. Invest in timeless styles
Buying timeless pieces will ensure that your wardrobe looks great for years to come, regardless of the ever-changing fashion trends. Invest in key pieces with the potential to stay in fashion through different eras, such as a classic fitted blazer or a minimalistic little black dress. You’ll always have the confidence of wearing something timeless and in trend, regardless of the season.
3. Keep garments in good shape
Care for your classic garments to keep them looking their best longer. Here are some tips on how to maintain a classic wardrobe:
- Dry clean or hand wash garments whenever necessary.
- Keep items in a cool, dark, and dry place.
- Store out of season garments in a cloth garment bag.
- Iron all clothes properly, so they lay correctly and the fabric maintains its shape.
- Repair any loose stitching or bagging fabric before the material rends.
4. Show restraint
It’s easy to get carried away when you update your wardrobe with classic pieces, but practice moderation. Purchasing too many similar items or too many neutral colors can negatively affect your personal style and lead to damage. Instead, opt for a few quality pieces and mix and match textures, shapes, and colors to create an individualistic look.
4. Making the Most of Your Tailored Investment: How to Preserve Quality Over Time
When it comes to preserving quality for your tailored investment over time, the idea is to balance patience and agility. It is possible to attain good returns while at the same time protecting your assets from damage that may happen due to external events. Here are four ways to make the most of your tailored investment:
- Perform Regular Checks: Ensure that you are regularly checking the trends and performance of the market. Utilize tools such as stock charts, financial transactions, and economic data to track the results of the investment and to identify any changes that could interfere with the performance of the tailored investment.
- Monitor Your Risk Profile: Monitoring risk is a critical component in preserving quality of a tailored investment. An investor should stay informed of changes in correlations between investment holdings, as well as their own risk profile relative to the market. Constantly evaluate the amount of risk you are comfortable with.
- Diversify Your Investment Portfolio: Diversity in your portfolio may help protect against market downturns or shocks, cushioning your investment from losses in the case of sudden changes. Carefully consider the range of investments you incorporate in the portfolio, and adjust strongly-correlated stocks or bonds accordingly.
- Acknowledge External Factors: External factors, such as industry events, political changes, or market fluctuations, can have a major impact on the returns generated from a tailored investment. Be aware of new events that could affect the performance of the portfolio and how the changes could affect both the returns and the quality of the investment.
Preserving the quality of a tailored investment requires continuous monitoring and evaluation. An investor should use these four strategies together to ensure they are reaping the rewards of their tailored investments over time.
Maintaining and caring for your classic tailored garments doesn’t have to be a chore. Being mindful of small adjustments, knowing how to spot quality materials, and seeking out professional help when needed can help ensure that your investment in classic tailoring will stand up to the test of time. With these tips, you can make sure your tailored garments will always look their very best.