When it comes to finding the perfect professional ensemble, denim is typically nowhere to be found. But why should this comfortable material be excluded from corporate environments? Denim is incredibly versatile and combining it with professional garments can create an undeniably stylish look. This article will explore how to incorporate denim into your office wardrobe so you can look professional – without needing to sacrifice your personal style.
1. Making Denim Work-Ready: Tips for Incorporating Denim into Your Office Look
From board meetings to interviews, the office is the place where first impressions are key. You want to look professional, but still express your own style. And if you’re considering incorporating denim into your office look, you’ve got to get it right. Here are our top tips on how to make denim work-ready:
- Wash it Right – DARK is always the way to go. Darker shades of denim usually read more professional, so if you’re planning to wear denim to the office, pick a wash that is darker, sleeker, and crisper. Anything too vintage or too distressed won’t be appropriate.
- Find the Right Fit – Denim should always fit properly and look flattering. It should be snug around your legs and hips, but not so tight that you’ll be tugging at it at your desk. Baggy denim will easily make your office look sloppy.
- Pair with the Right Materials – Denim can easily be dressed up by pairing it with other materials like wool, tweed, and leather. Doing this will instantly make any denim look more sophisticated. Just stay away from pairing it with other casual items like t-shirts, sneakers, and hoodies.
When choosing denim for the workplace, stick to classic pieces like straight-leg jeans, slim-fit trousers, mid-rise bootcut or flares, and dark-colored denim jackets. If you want to try something a bit trendier, opt for pinstripe denim, light denim washes, or more contemporary silhouettes. Just remember: Keep the wash subtle and the fit flattering and you’ll be able to make denim look office-savvy in no time.
And be sure to avoid wearing ripped or distressed denim, overly tight styles, short shorts, or wide-leg jeans as these items will easily make your look over-the-top or sloppy. Use caution with bold colors, too, as they will easily draw attention in the wrong way. Stick to darker hues and don’t be afraid to accessorize with color or pattern.
2. Styling the Perfect Denim & Work Look Blend
1. Wear a denim jacket or a distressed jean jacket over your work wear to give a relaxed look. Choose any colour from black to pale blue depending on the occasion. Pair it with a classic mid-length shirt or a plain white t-shirt.
2. You can never go wrong with the combination of chinos and a denim jacket, teamed with a pair of patent-leather shoes. Opt for a popped collar or chambray lining for a more modern look.
3. To make the look more refined, consider pairing your denim or jean shirt with a vest. Go bold and opt for leather. Balance it out with chinos for a put-together look.
4. For a unique and stylish outfit, you can try wearing a blazer with a pair of well-fitted ripped jeans. Choose neutral shades or brighter shades for a subtle fashion statement.
5. If jeans are too casual for the occasion, substitute them with dress pants. A crisp shirt and well-tailored jacket with a hint of denim is sure to make you look sharp without looking overdressed.
3. Knowing the Rules of Denim Etiquette in the Workplace
Denim has long been a weekend warhorse for fashion, but is increasingly becoming a popular choice for work attire. To wear denim to work, however, requires a knowledge of denim etiquette. Knowing how to wear denim in the workplace is integral to looking professional and creating a good impression on colleagues and clients.
Fit: To look professional, denim should fit properly. Jeans should never be excessively baggy or tight, and should sit at the hip without sagging or pooling at the bottom hem. The waist should fit snugly, as it should fit comfortably without the need to be pulled up the entire day. When buying jeans, make sure to pay attention to the size and fit; do not size down or opt for baggy jeans to be fashionable.
Wash: When wearing denim to work, lighter, darker and neutral-toned jeans are usually the safest option. Look for vintage-inspired washes that are not too faded, and avoid jeans with extreme bleaching or prints. Dark-wash jeans with a bit of added character can look great when paired with a dressy top for a professional touch.
Styling: When it comes to styling, the key to wearing denim to the workplace is to keep the overall look classic and balanced. Avoid extreme cuts, low-rise and hip-hugging styles. When picking out a shirt or blouse to pair with jeans, opt for a crisp cotton shirt, a neat blouse or a sleek pinstriped shirt.
Accessorizing: Denim at work must remain smart and refined, so accessorize accordingly. Keep accessories smart and simple—a statement necklace, an elegant scarf, a timeless watch or a chic handbag will all will add a professional touch. To finish the look, opt for smart, conservative shoes such as loafers, pointed flats or low heels.
4. Create Professional Style with Denim & Look Fabulous!
Denim is the perfect staple piece of fabric for a timeless look of sophistication, and it is one of the most versatile materials when it comes to creating a professional style. Whether you’re looking for a laid back yet still polished look or an ultra-smart ensemble, denim is sure to become the foundation of your wardrobe.
1. Start with the basics: You can never go wrong with a pair of quality denim jeans, paired with a sleek blazer for a classically put-together look. Adding a pair of loafers or ankle boots can take you from the office to after-work drinks in no time.
2. Add some personality: To put a unique twist on your outfit, consider trying on a denim shirt or a beautiful denim dress for a stylish upgrade. Experiment by mixing different textures and colors for an interesting yet professional style.
3. Accessorize: You can easily liven up your look by adding the right accessories. Try out some statement jewelry, classic handbags, eye-catching scarves, or polished hats. The options are endless- just make sure your accessories don’t overwhelm the look.
4. Look for quality: When buying denim pieces for a professional style, focus on quality and fit. Tailor-made denim garments are the ideal choice if you can afford them, and they can have a great impact on how smart your outfit looks.
With a few simple steps, you can now use denim to create a timeless, sharp, and polished look. Get creative and throw in a few unexpected pieces to make it totally memorable!
Denim can be tricky to incorporate into professional outfits, but with the tips from this article, you’ll be bossing the workplace in no time! With a little experimentation, you can find your own exclusive denim style that will be sure to make you look and feel your best on your way to success.