Feeling frustrated when all the clothes you try on never seem to fit just right? For those seeking style, sharp lines, and sophistication, the answer to perfect attire lies in classic tailored clothing. From jackets, blazers, and trousers to trousers and vests, look no further; here’s a guide on how to find the fit that is not only fabulous, but fits like a glove.
1) Perfecting Your Measurements for Tailored Clothing
Getting a perfect fit on tailored clothing takes more than the usual sizing – it’s an exacting artform that requires a great amount of detail and a keen eye for measurements. Here are the tips you need to know to achieve the perfect fit for your tailored wardrobe.
Measure Twice – Cut Once
- Take precise measurements yourself or have them taken by a qualified tailor.
- Double-check and measure again to make sure that you have the exact sizes necessary for a proper fit.
- Write down your measurements and store them in a safe place
Choose Quality Goods
- Invest in the best quality materials and fabrics for your tailored clothing.
- For a superior fit, choose fabrics that will mould and shape easily to your body.
- Look for garments made with breathable and comfortable fabrics such as cashmere, wool, silk or cotton.
Pick the Right Style
- Choose the style that suits you best, taking into consideration your figure and lifestyle.
- If your body type is curvier, opt for tailored garments that hug the contours of your body, or look for more relaxed cuts with looser fits.
- For a formal occasion, it is important to dress for your body type and use the right accessory to complete your look.
The Little Things
- When it comes to tailored clothing, the small touches can make all the difference.
- Consider details such as types of pockets, lining, hem length, monograms, or buttons – each of these small choices have an impact in the overall look.
- Be aware of your personal preferences when making these choices.
2) Understanding Fabrics and Styles for the Perfect Look
Understanding Fabrics and Styles for the Perfect Look
The choice of fabric and style can make or break your look. For a perfect look, it’s important to choose materials that are breathable, comfortable, and attractive.
Knowing what type of fabric works best for different looks and occasions is key. For a formal event, silk can make a sophisticated choice as it adds an air of luxury to the outfit. For cool-weather dressing, wool or tweed is a great fabric to choose. For those seeking a classic look, cotton is a great choice, and for a fun and colorful look, linen is ideal.
Each fabric offers different qualities such as texture, thickness, and weight. Learn how to determine which materials will help provide a perfect fit and flatter your silhouette. Lightweight fabrics like chiffon and organza are good for a delicate spring look where a heavier material like leather or velvet can effectively create a more substantial look for colder climates.
When it comes to style, think of what suits your body best:
- Tailoring: For a classic, structured look that flatters the body.
- Flowy: For a relaxed, romantic look.
- Plush: For a lush, tactile look.
- Playful: For a modern, trendy look with a hint of humor.
Once you understand the different fabrics and styles, you can create the perfect look for any occasion. With the right choices, you can create something special and truly stand out in any crowd.
3) Identifying Seasonal Trends for a Timeless Look
The transition from one season to the next brings an exciting set of new trends to the fashion world. But when it comes to achieving a timeless look that you can wear all year round, it’s important to recognize which of these trends will be able to integrate seamlessly into your wardrobe, no matter the season.
Choosing high-quality pieces that will stand the test of time is one of the key steps in identifying and curating a versatile, timeless look. Pay attention to details like fabrics, colors, and cuts, and opt for items that will still look good season after season.
- Buy Classics – You can’t go wrong with items like a little black dress, a white button up, or even a leather jacket. These classic staples can be easily paired with almost anything and always look chic.
- Focus on Neutrals – Neutral hues like beige, black, gray, and white are not only super versatile, they’ll never go out of style. Invest in a few quality items in these timeless shades and you can feel confident that you can always mix and match them.
- Choose Simple Designs – Avoid anything overly ornate or ornamental, and opt instead for pieces with clean lines and simple silhouettes. This will help ensure your look stands the test of time.
Although trends may come and go, with the right strategy, you can easily create a timeless wardrobe. Putting in the effort to create the pieces you need to pull together an evergreen look will save you time and money in the long run and allow you to keep up with fashion trends without sacrificing your individual style.
4) Crafting an Outfit that Fits Your Style and Lifestyle
In the pursuit of style, putting together the right outfit can be both rewarding and challenging. After all, the right pieces need to not only reflect your personal aesthetic, but also match with your lifestyle.
Understand Yourself. The key to achieving an outfit that is both stylish and practical for your lifestyle is to first understanding yourself: who you are, what you like, and how you live and work.
What are your interests? What color palette do you lean towards? Which silhouettes do you prefer? Knowing these answers will help you find the pieces that both express who you are and fit into your lifestyle.
Be Mindful of Comfort and Function. We all have a jam-packed schedule, and comfort is essential for keeping up with our to-dos. Make sure your outfit can handle the various tasks your day-to-day requires. Whether it’s positions for practicing yoga or meeting deadlines in the office, choose clothing with flex and breathability.
For instance, if you love skirts, pair them with a lightweight tank and sandals for a warm-weather look, or if you prefer pants, look for crepe and linen fabrics that move with your body.
Mix and Match. A good outfit always starts with basics: a white tee, fitted jeans, and a pair of flats can take you far. Have fun creating complete looks with the items in your wardrobe. Bring in one or two unique pieces and style it with your basics for a variety of looks over and over again.
Think of going tonal and mixing different shades of the same hue for a sophisticated monochrome look. Or switch up your basics with a flowy top, a fun pair of loafers, and some statement jewelry to dress up a casual outfit.
When following the above tips, your wardrobe can become an extension of your style, and go the extra mile in supporting your lifestyle.
For many, finding the perfect fit in classic tailored clothing can seem like a daunting task, but with proper care and attention, it doesn’t have to be. With knowledge of your body measurements and a bit of trial and error, you can uncover the fit that works for you. By combining the best of both the classical world and modern sensibility, you can make timeless choices that you’ll be happy to wear for many years to come.