Denim – it’s a timeless trend that will never go out of style. From out-of-the-ordinary streetstyle to chic corporate attire, denim can bring endless versatility to any wardrobe. In this article, we take a look at how denim can be worn for any occasion – from everyday look to classy and formal occasions.
1. Denim – The Versatile Universal Staple
Denim is a modern fashion staple for both men and women. Originating from the 19th-century French, the fabric has endured style trends to remain a fashion icon. In the modern era, denim allows for multiple styling opportunities that adapt to any wardrobe.
These five ways to wear denim transform any outfit:
- Denim jackets are a versatile outer layer that bring a casual element to a dressed up look
- A denim skirt adds a modern twist to simple blouse or shirt combination
- A denim shorts outfit is perfect for those warmer summer days
- Denim trousers let you inject some casual style to smart dress codes
- Skinny-fit jeans give an effortless look for any occasion
From light-wash to dark-wash, denim comes in different levels of rigidness – from soft and stretchy skinny jeans to more rigid and durable trucker jackets. This intricate mix of styles and fabric options allows for perfect combinations to accessorize any look.
The versatility of denim lies in its versatility and mix-and-match style. Accessories define any outfit, such as a statement belt or colorful scarf. Denim provides a perfect canvas for additional colorful items to make an outfit more personal. It also provides complete comfort due to its low-maintenance fabrication.
High-street brands produce a range of denim products that cater to any budget; this makes the durable and timeless fabric a wardrobe essential. These days, there are so many denim options available. With a unique combination of fabric and styles, there is something to suit everyone.
2. From Daytime Casual to Evening Chic
Daytime casual does not need to mean boring or toned down, but should mean comfortable and fashionable. Choose a maxi dress or long skirt with a fitted top in a summery print, and style it with fresh jewelry. If it’s chilly, slip on a jean jacket. Chunky jewelry and a wide brimmed hat can also help give the outfit some oomph.
By changing the accessories, you can easily transition the look from daytime to evening. Swap the jean jacket for a fitted leather jacket or structured blazer. Add a pair of strappy sandals, then choose a sleek clutch or little evening bag. Change the jewelry into sparkly pieces with bold stones, or go for classic pearls.
Remember, it’s important to be yourself and dress according to your particular style. A pop of bright lipstick and a great pair of drop earrings can add the perfect touch to a daytime look. Or swap the skirt and slip on a pair of trousers for a dressy look with tailored edge.
When stepping out for the evening, it can be fun to try something different. If jumpsuits or leggings aren’t already part of your wardrobe, why not give them a try? Play with different textures, like sheer fabrics or velvet. A sequin jacket and eye-catching clutch can also go a long way in jazzing up an outfit.
- A maxi dress or long skirt with a fitted top in a summery print
- A jean jacket or leather jacket/structured blazer
- Chunky jewelry and a wide brimmed hat
- Sparkly jewelry and bold stones/classic pearls
- Jumpsuits or leggings
- Sheer fabrics or velvet jackets
- Sequin jacket and eye-catching clutch
3. Styling Denim for Different Occasions
Denim has come a long way since its inception as a sturdy fabric for workwear. Whether you want a casual, dressy, or a hybrid look, denim offers many options for styling up your outfit.
- Casual Outfit: If you’re looking for a relaxed and comfy getup, go for a basic denim shirt paired with light-wash skinny jeans. Tuck your shirt in the jeans for a more put-together look that is still casual. If you want to go a notch up, opt for a jacket with a neutral shade to finish the look.
- Dressy Look: For a dressier look, a dark wash denim jeans with a crisp, tailored white shirt would do the trick. Add a pair of statement high heels and go ahead and bling it up with some statement jewelry for an attention-grabbing look.
- Hybrid Look: Every fashionista has it in them to create a look that’s neither too casual nor too dressed-up. Achieve this styling goal by teaming your dark-wash jeans with a long-sleeve V-neck top with a slightly elevated shape. For an added touch, you can layer a blazer or a tailored double-breasted jacket over it.
To create an interesting look with denim, you can even pair two different shades of denim and mix-and-match pieces from your wardrobe. Get creative without going over-the-top and you’ll be all set for any kind of occasion.
Don’t be afraid of experimenting with denim and incorporating your own sense of style. Start small and remember: if it feels good and looks good, it is good!
4. Elevate Your Wardrobe with Denim Apparel
Denim is one of the most timeless and versatile fabrics out there: a great quality pair of jeans can take you from the office to a night out with ease. The beauty of denim clothing is that it can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. Here are some tips to help you elevate your style with some new denim apparel.
- Invest in a good pair of jeans. Find a style you love that fits well and provides great construction. Bootcut jeans are a great option for formal events, while skinny or straight cut jeans are perfect for a fashionable and casual look.
- Add some color to your wardrobe with a denim jacket. Whether it’s indigo, white, or dusty blue, wearing a denim jacket can add dimension and texture to your look. Plus, it’s a great way to play with different shades of the same hue.
- Make a statement with vintage jeans. Thrifting for denim is a great way to add unique one-of-a-kind pieces to your wardrobe. Look for high-rise trousers and bell-bottoms for an of-the-moment 70s style.
Embellish your look with denim accessories. To complete your outfit, adding a belt in the same hue can be the perfect touch. Plus, denim bags and purses have been trending recently and make for great conversation pieces.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can take your look to the next level with some stylish denim apparel. Whether you’re on-the-go, hitting the town, or just lounging around, adding some denim to your wardrobe can be a great way to express your individual style.
Denim can make any occasion special, whether it be to two-step at a country line-dance, lunch with friends, or a romantic date. It’s dynamic role in fashion is defined by the occasions we dress up and dress down for. Denim challenges us to think beyond the norms of everyday wear, and instead to spark creativity when deciding what to wear for whatever occasion life throws at us.